+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Donald Blames Martha for Bad Ratings

Donald Blames Martha for Bad Ratings

October 20, 2005 -- THE Donald says he knows why his version of "The Apprentice" is hurting in the ratings this year: Martha Stewart.

"I think there was confusion between Martha's 'Apprentice' and mine," Donald Trump told ABC News Radio yesterday.

"And mine continues to do well and, as you know, the other one has struggled very severely.

"But I think it probably hurt mine, and I sort of predicted that it would because there was a lot of confusion [with] people that wanted to watch 'The Apprentice.'

"And a lot of people were even upset that this was done. But I really feel that there was a certain amount of confusion which hurt the original 'Apprentice,' " Trump said in an interview with ABC's David Blaustein that airs today on its national radio network.

Last year, at this point in the season, Trump was averaging about 16 million viewers a week. This year he's pulling in about 10 million. The Martha version is averaging about 6.6 million viewers.

"Apprentice" creator Mark Burnett says that putting the shows on two nights in a row each week Martha on Wednesdays and Donald on Thursdays was a mistake and has essentially split the audience.

"In hindsight, two nights in a row each week is hard to invest in [for viewers]," he said. "Thirty-two characters are a lot to follow in this format." Burnett said he expects the ratings to grow as each program builds to its season finale.

Trump said that no decision has been made yet as to if Stewart's version will get a second season, but hinted that it might be an uphill battle.

"Well, that's up to really Mark Burnett and myself and NBC as to whether or not the Martha show continues, but it certainly has struggled mightily," Trump said.

Burnett said he hasn't even talked to NBC yet about bringing back the Martha edition. "There's no urgency," he said.
    http://www.nypost.com/entertainment/55770.htm

Note to Donald - Your version's ratings has been hurting since it's second season, so stop blaming Martha!!

Actually, I agree with The Don. I'm still a little confused between the candidates, because there are so many to remember. And I can usually tell them apart after one or two episodes. Also, the format is way too similar.

FORT Fogey
    I agree with him too. Sounds like he and Burnett have an issue with NBC scheduling. However there is some blame to be laid in the laps of those who decided to have Martha replicate Trumps format. Hard to believe Burnett and Trump were not involved in that.

I agree with Donald and Burnett.

In the end I just had to pick one of the shows as I didn't have the time to comit to both.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion, Archery Champion Maveno's Avatar
    "In hindsight, two nights in a row each week is hard to invest in [for viewers]," he said.
    HA! Only the week at heart can't "invest" two nights a week.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

Trump is in denial that his shows have really sucked ever since they started focusing on "drama" rather than job skills.

The show was inspiring to watch when it was about the best/brightest and how they interacted with each other. But now it's just like "Days of Our Lives" or "90210". I'm pretty sure next week's reward is gonna be dinner at the Peach Pit.

I guess I'm in the minority but I LIKE Martha's show. And she was approached by Trump and Burnett for this show so the format and so on was their idea.

I think it would be doing better in the ratings if her show started after his show ended (meaning once he picked his Apprentice, then her show could've started in a couple of weeks after that). Both on at the same time is a bit much but I watch them both anyway.

And Martha may plug her MSLO but not near as much as Trump. Everytime he says "one of you will be fired while the rest go up to the most magnificent suite ever blah blah blah" I just want to say we get it already, it's a nice suite. But really, is it the best ever?

Quote Originally Posted by chesara
    I guess I'm in the minority but I LIKE Martha's show. And she was approached by Trump and Burnett for this show so the format and so on was their idea.

I think it would be doing better in the ratings if her show started after his show ended (meaning once he picked his Apprentice, then her show could've started in a couple of weeks after that). Both on at the same time is a bit much but I watch them both anyway.

And Martha may plug her MSLO but not near as much as Trump. Everytime he says "one of you will be fired while the rest go up to the most magnificent suite ever blah blah blah" I just want to say we get it already, it's a nice suite. But really, is it the best ever?
    Now that is a good idea to have her version start after his goes on haitus or whatever it is called. I don't know why they did not think of that...Guess they thought they could be like a Law and Order thing and have different versions on each week...Perhaps they will give her another shot in that manner. Also, why couldn't they show hers in the summer when his is not on? I'm sure she would build up a fan base with no other reality shows on except for Big Brother.

FORT Fogey
    Two nights a week was not too risky, but two nights in a row was stupid. However, while it may be a contributing factor and an easy scapegoat, Martha's not completely to blame.

I do agree these contestants have been damn hard to keep straight.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast